MARCY – A corrections officer at Mid-State Correctional Facility was treated for a concussion, fractured cheekbone, left orbital eye fracture and a fractured nose after suffering an attack by an inmate on Sunday.
The incident occurred after the 33-year-old inmate was escorted to a holding cell for a medical evaluation. When the officer removed the restraints to perform a routine frisk, the inmate turned around and punched the officer in the head, knocking him unconscious.
A sergeant at the scene attempted to detain the inmate with pepper spray, but he continued to be combative. Four other officers then used body holds to get the inmate to the ground and put him back in the mechanical restraints.
The officer was transported to St. Elizabeth's Medical Center for treatment after the attack. The other responding officers sustained minor injuries and remained on duty.
“It is our sincere hope that the Oneida County District Attorney’s Office prosecutes this crime to the fullest extent. This was a vicious attack on one of our members and the inmate, who was already serving a lengthy sentence for a violent assault, needs to be prosecuted,” said Scott Carpenter, central region vice president of the New York State Correctional Officers and Police Benevolent Association.
The inmate was transferred to Five Points Correctional Facility in Seneca County. He is serving a 15-year sentence after being convicted of first-degree assault in Kings County in 2009.
- Officer sustains fractured eye, nose after inmate attack at Mid-State Correctional Facility
- 6 corrections officers injured at Mid-State Correctional Facility
- Mohawk Correctional Facility inmate convicted of assault after attacking officer
- NYSCOPBA: Inmate punches officer in face at Mid-State Correctional Facility
- Female officer injured by inmate at Mohawk Correctional Facility
- 2 officers need treatment after inmate attack at Mohawk Valley Correctional Facility
- Inmate escapes correction officer custody in Utica
- Visitation suspended at all state correctional facilities
- 2 downstate women accused of bringing drugs into Mid-State Correctional Facility
- Inmate accused of brutally attacking female corrections officer appears in court