UTICA – Fire officials continue to investigate the fire that broke out at an abandoned building in Utica’s brewery district over the weekend.
Just before 10 a.m. Saturday, fire crews were called to the building on Stark Street, near the F.X. Matt Brewery, after a person walking by noticed smoke coming from the building. When crews arrived on scene, they found flames and heavy smoke coming from the fourth floor of the building.
Fire officials say that the quick-acting fire could have been much worse, but crews worked quickly to put the fire out without much damage.
"There was a lot of contents up on the fourth floor that had the potential to catch fire,” said Scott Ingersoll, interim chief of the Utica Fire Department. “Fortunately,the sprinkler system activated and it was able to keep the fire contained. And what our firefighters did was go in and finish putting it out.”
Officials are still working to determine the cause of the fire.
- Officials investigating fire at abandoned building in Utica
- Cats found abandoned in Utica apartment
- Fire officials investigating Deerfield house fire
- Abandoned house destroyed by fire in Manheim
- No threat found after officials investigate suspicious package in Utica
- Utica fire investigators looking into South St. fire cause
- Utica fire crews investigating fire at El Barajo Restaurant
- North Utica Nicky Doodles building for sale
- State officials talk storm prep in Utica
- Utica police investigating reported shots fired on Blandina Street