OLD FORGE -- Developers are looking to build a Dollar General store in Old Forge.
Design plans were discussed at the meeting at Webb Town Hall, Tuesday. The first design was met with a lot of opposition. Local residents and planning board members disagreed with the initial design of the store, saying it didn't fit in with the Adirondack’s style. Residents described the original design as having a "boxy, warehouse style". Developers showed a newer design at the meeting that incorporated a more woodsy feel to the Dollar General.
So many people showed up to the meeting, that it had to be moved to a bigger room.
Board members say the new design is better than the original, but still needs work.
“This is a community of the small, independently owned businesses,” local business owner John Nemjo said. “People who have families have established themselves in this community, and give back to it. They’re involved in all aspects of the community. They coach the kids sports, their kids go to school here. They support each other’s businesses. And the money that they bring into their businesses stay in this community and gets circulated around and around. Dollar General, I don’t think, is going to offer that to this community at all. They’re independent. They’re outside. The money that they bring in will leave the community, and we don’t see them as getting involved in the community like all the other people who own businesses here.”
Other concerns are that small businesses in the area don't want to compete with a large corporation. The developer says competition is good for the consumer because it keeps other businesses from raising prices during busy seasons.
There's no word on when construction for the Dollar General will begin. If the plans are approved, the store would employ between six and 10 people, and would be open year round from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Old Forge residents unhappy about proposed Dollar General
- Old Forge art center wants design proposals for their 'Eco Gallery'
- Dollar General on Mohawk Street to hold grand opening Saturday
- Dollar General will open 975 stores this year
- Old Forge welcomes home Maddie Phaneuf
- Snodeo 2018 wraps up in Old Forge
- Olympic pride welcome at Winter Carnival in Old Forge
- Old Forge native Maddie Phaneuf to compete in biathlon Wednesday
- Old Forge celebrates St. Patrick's Day with annual parade
- VIDEO: Vehicle ends up in Old Forge Pond