UTICA, N.Y. – Oneida County is creating a database of gyms and fitness centers, to organize the process of verifying safety plans and inspecting facilities ahead of reopening.
On Monday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that gyms could reopen starting Aug. 24. However, localities are required to inspect the facilities before, or within two weeks, of reopening.
According to Oneida County Executive Anthony Picente, the county is in the process of building a database of gym locations so they can verify safety guidelines are met. This includes fitness areas in colleges and hotels.
The county is asking gym owners to do the following ahead of reopening:
- Review the state reopening checklist
- Review full details of reopening guidelines
- Have a safety plan in place. The state has provided a safety plan template for those who need it
- Email the following information to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Business name
- Specific business type
- Business location address
- Owner’s name (and appropriate contact person), phone number and email address
According to Cuomo, gyms and fitness centers need to reopen by Sept. 2.