East Syracuse, N.Y. - The Oneida Indians are in uncharted territory, securing the program's first berth in the state semifinals with a 3-1 win over Section IV's Waverly in the regional round at Carrier Park, Friday.
The Indians now await the winner of a regional game between Section VI's Eden and Section V's Waterloo on Saturday to decide their next opponent.
Oneida went down 1-0 in the top of the third thanks to a home run from Wolverine's pitcher, Wendi Hammond.
They regrouped and returned the favor with two runs in the bottom half of the inning to take the lead for good, adding another run in the bottom of the sixth for insurance.
Kyra Shlotzhauer pitched a gem in the circle, a complete game, four-hit win. She gave up just one run, walked one batter, and struck out ten, dropping to the ground with tears of joy after striking out the final batter.
Kaylin Curro and Lauren Skibitski drove in the Indians' earned runs.
With the win, state-ranked No. 2 Oneida not only advances to the programs first state semifinals, but they also increase their winning streak to 21 straight games.
This is their first season with over 20 wins in a single year.
The state semifinal match-up against Eden or Waterloo will take place on Saturday, June 16, 11:30 a.m. at Moreau Recreational Park in Fort Edward, N.Y.
- Oneida makes program history, advances to first state semifinals with regional win over Waverly
- MVCC, Herkimer advance to Region III semifinals this weekend
- Generals win two, advance to NJCAA Division III semifinals
- Whitesboro boys advance to Section III Class A semifinals, Oneida girls fall short in Class B quarterfinals
- With wins in the sectional semifinals Adirondack, Oneida, Hamilton and Oriskany are all championship bound
- Arc, Oneida-Lewis Chapter launches telehealth program
- Carrie Underwood makes chart history
- Herkimer handles Corning, MVCC escapes with OT win to advance to the Region III Final
- Herkimer sweeps OCC to advance to Regional Finals
- Generals slam Tribunes to advance to Region IIIA Championship Series