(November 2, 2017)
ONEIDA - More information has been provided regarding the alleged threat made on social media regarding the Oneida City High School.
The Oneida City Police Department, the Oneida City School District and Oneida Mayor Leo Matzke’s office released the following joint statement today:
"On Wednesday, November 1, 2017, staff members of the Oneida High School began to hear rumors being circulated amongst students of a possibly threatening statement about the high school that was allegedly posted on a social media platform. At about the same time, the Oneida Police Department was also contacted by the parent of a student who also reported the same rumor.
Acting collaboratively, the Oneida City School District and the Oneida City Police Department interviewed numerous students who had reported hearing about the alleged threat. None of those students reported actually seeing the alleged threat on the social media platform. There was never any confirmation that a threat was actually made or posted on social media.
The person who was purported to have made these threats was located by the Oneida Police Department and has not admitted to engaging in such behavior. That person has not been charged with any crime as no crime was ever substantiated. No further information will be released pertaining to this individual.
During the course of the day on Wednesday, the Oneida Police Department maintained a presence at the Oneida High School and will continue to do so today. This presence is out of an abundance of caution and not related to any enhanced concern for student safety.
The Oneida Police Department, the Oneida City School District and Mayor Leo Matzke all want everyone to know that at no time during yesterday’s investigation were students or staff of the high school at risk or in any danger. The safety of students and staff are always paramount.
No further public information can be released by any of the three entities issuing this press release at this time."
- Oneida police, school district and mayor release statement on alleged threat
- Whitesboro superintendent issues follow-up statement on alleged threat
- NewsTalk: Oneida City School District Facility Study Forum
- UPDATE: Results for school district votes in South Lewis, Oneida
- Oneida middle school student arrested for allegedly making threats
- Oneida County executive talks U District plans
- Oneida teen arrested following VVS threat investigation
- Lowville school district, local law enforcement investigating possible threat
- Extra patrols at NYM School District for possible threat
- Whitesboro CSD responds to alleged threat against high school