The Oneonta Common Council approved a motion to create a Community Advisory Board.
The board will work with the Oneonta Police Department to review the department's procedures and policies to make recommendations designed to strengthen community engagement and transparency, as well as safeguards against bias and use of excessive force.
The mayor will appoint nine members with approval from the Common Council, which will include:
- City of Oneonta Human Resources Director
- A member of the Oneonta Chapter of the NAACP
- A member of the City of Oneonta Commission on Community Relations and Human Rights
- A student of SUNY Oneonta
- A staff or faculty member of SUNY Oneonta
- A student of Hartwick College
- A staff or faculty member of Hartwick College
- A City of Oneonta Council Member
- A Citizen at large of the City of Oneont
The Mayor, along with the Chief of Police, will attend all meetings but will not serve as members of the Community Advisory Board.
Upon completion of their review, the board will make recommendations to the Chief of Police on changes, additions, and deletions to department policies, procedures, and trainings.
The board can recommend training on a range of topics which should include, but are not limited to: addressing racial and LGBTQ bias, de-escalating interactions with those suffering with mental health issues, substance abuse, and use of force.