Photo Gallery 7 Images
ONEONTA – An Oneonta man is facing a list of charges after he allegedly struck two police cruisers with his vehicle, hit a tractor trailer, injured an officer and led police on a 45-minute car chase, according to the Oneonta Police Department.
Police say they tried to arrest 62-year-old James Hone – who was wanted on a warrant for criminal contempt after he allegedly violated an order of protection – after he arrived home around 9:38 p.m. Tuesday.
As an officer attempted to arrest Hone, he drove his car into that officer’s patrol car, according to police. The officer dove over the hood of the car and got out of the way of Hone’s vehicle, then followed him onto Fairview Avenue.
Police say a second officer then tried to block Hone’s vehicle on Fairview Avenue, and Hone then rammed his vehicle into the driver’s side of the second patrol car several times.
Police say they continued following Hone onto several roads, including I-88, where they say Hone drove 80 mph through a construction zone. He then struck the back of a tractor trailer, drove onto the median and then went around the tractor trailer, according to police.
New York State Police and Otsego County Sheriff’s deputies then assisted Oneonta police with the chase as Hone took the Route 205 exit off of I-88. The car chase continued onto several different roads, and while they were on Route 205 in the area of Airport Road, Hone drove behind another tractor trailer and had to slow down. Police were then able to block Hone’s vehicle in and take him into custody.
Hone is charged with the following:
- Two counts of attempted assault of a police officer with a weapon
- Third-degree criminal possession of a weapon (car considered a weapon)
- Criminal mischief
- Second-degree assault
- Second-degree menacing
- Unlawful fleeing in a motor vehicle
- Reckless endangerment
- Resisting arrest
- Reckless driving
- Two counts of leaving the scene of an accident
- Several vehicle and traffic tickets
Police say one of the officers was treated at a local hospital for a shoulder injury and then released.
One of the patrol vehicles struck by Hone is totaled and the other is temporarily out of use due to damage.
- Oneonta man accused of hitting 2 police cruisers, leading police on car chase
- 2 children died after a stolen police cruiser crashed into their car outside a library
- Oneonta man in serious condition after being hit by vehicle
- Oneonta man accused of threatening girlfriend with shotgun while drunk
- SUNY Oneonta student accused of fracturing man's skull with baton
- Oneonta man accused of DWI with suspended license
- Oneonta man accused of sexual contact with child
- Oneonta man accused of pushing, kicking disabled resident while working
- Search underway for man accused in Oneonta fatal fire
- State police: Oneonta teen made up abduction story, father shot at car