BALDWINSVILLE- In May of 2017, an elderly couple from Baldwinsville received a pop-up message on their home computer informing them that their computer was infected with a virus and to immediately contact “Microsoft” at the provided phone number. They did so and purchased the virus protection. Then on July 12, 2017, they were re-contacted, allegedly by the same individual, who told them that they were entitled to a refund for the virus protection, because the company was moving out of the country and that in order to facilitate that refund, they needed to provide him with their bank account number. They did so, and the individual told them that he mistakenly deposited an additional $8,500 into their account, which they needed to return to him. They transferred the $8,500 into a Bank of America savings account number that the individual provided them.
The investigation revealed the account belonged to an Orange County Dentist, Dr. Saidapet R. Sridhar. On the same day that the money was deposited into his savings account, it was transferred into his checking account and immediately used to pay his personal expenses including credit cards.
Sridhar was charged with one count of Criminal Possession of Stolen Property 3rd degree and arraigned in the Town of New Windsor Court, Orange County. He was released on his own recognizance.
The investigation is continuing.
- Orange County Man arrested for scamming elderly couple in Baldwinsville
- Healthcare aide accused of stealing $11,000 from elderly couple
- Otsego County health aide accused of stealing $33k from elderly couple
- Duke turns back Orange 69-65
- Elderly east Utica man interrupts burglary, is attacked
- Rome woman accused of stealing $12K from elderly man
- Rome woman sentenced for stealing from elderly man
- Avoiding Social Security scams
- Utica man accused of attacking elderly man and stealing his car
- Whitesboro Police Investigate YouCaring Scam