COOPERSTOWN, N.Y.-- After a 15-month stalemate, Otsego County Sheriff Richard Devlin Jr. has agreed to recuse himself from the county board of representative's investigation into his son, Sgt. Ros Devlin.
Ros Devlin has been on paid administrative leave from the OCSO since January of 2017, when he allegedly made threats against two local schools and threatened to commit suicide in front of a supervisor.
The prior county board leadership asked Richard Devlin to recuse himself from the case, but the sheriff was hesitant to do so until a new chair was elected in November.
"I believe Mr. Bliss is an honorable man and will do the right thing," Devlin said. "Distrust and lack of communication with the previous administration, the former board chair's husband is running for sheriff. It was also implied that the sheriff's office and myself were under investigation. There were claims of inmate abuse and things of that nature. The latest information I developed is that we're not under any type of investigation."
The board of representatives will vote Wednesday on whether to approve Devlin's recusal, and the board chair believes the decision will likely lean towards acceptance.
"Our position has been since the beginning that we'd like to see a full evaluation, a mental health evaluation before we decide if he's able to return to work or not," David Bliss, the Otsego County Board of Representatives chair said.
The mental health exam will also determine whether or not to allow Ros Devlin back on county property. After being placed on leave, a judge ordered the rescinding of Ros Devlin's pistol permit. Bliss said that judge will determine whether or not Ros Devlin will get his permit back.
- Otsego Co. Sheriff agrees to recuse himself from son's case
- Otsego County Sheriff's race
- Developments in investigation of Otsego County Sheriff's son
- Otsego County DA disputes sheriff candidate's claim
- Otsego sheriff's department searching for missing woman
- Otsego County sheriff's son, accused of making school threats, resigns from CO job
- Otsego County 2018 goals
- Conditions in Otsego County
- Otsego County Sheriff provides more information on New Lisbon animal cruelty case
- UPDATE: Otsego County sheriff provides more details on double homicide