A Springfield Center man has been sentenced to probation time for setting fire to the Milford United Methodist Church last year.
Gerald Althiser, 21, pleaded guilty to third-degree attempted arson. He was sentenced Monday in Otsego County Court to five years of probation, which will be served in a supervised institution because he is developmentally disabled.
The fire that destroyed the Milford United Methodist Church occurred in March 2017. It was initially ruled an accidental fire until Althiser was linked to setting fires to storage sheds in Milford several months later.
If Althiser attempts to leave the supervised facility, he could be sentenced to up to seven years in state prison.
- Otsego Co. man sentenced for setting fire to Milford United Methodist Church
- The new United Methodist Church in Milford
- Mug Club: First United Methodist Church's Christmas Cookie Sale
- Water Shortage in Milford
- Construction begins for Milford Church after arson last year
- Milford church destroyed two years ago bouncing back
- 2 teens charged with setting fire to antique box car in Milford
- Village of Milford: Mandatory conserve water order
- Milford man accused of beating victim with door during argument
- Fort Plain man charged following crash into Milford home