SPRINGFIELD, N.Y. – A police chase involving an Otsego County deputy turned into a deadly head-on crash Tuesday afternoon.
The road patrol officer was seriously injured after being hit by a vehicle that crossed the center line of Route 20 in Springfield.
State police say a suspect was accused of harassing and then threatening a victim with a knife, which led to the pursuit.
The deputy, who Otsego County Sheriff Richard Devlin identified as James Mateunas, was rushed to Bassett Medical Center in Cooperstown. The sheriff says he was taken into surgery, and suffered several broken bones to his lower extremities. He is now in stable condition.
New York State Police are investigating the crash, which happened around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.
We're told the driver has died from his injuries. Police say he was fleeing law enforcement when the crash took place.
State police say that the deputy's vehicle was parked with its emergency lights on when it was hit.
Mateunas has been on road patrol with the sheriff's department for more than 10 years. He worked in corrections prior to that.
The intersection was closed while police and rescue crews worked at the scene.
The investigation is ongoing, and it is unknown at this time why the suspect crossed the center line.
NEWSChannel 2 will continue to follow this story as soon as any new updates become available.
- Suspect dead after police chase seriously injures Otsego County deputy
- Otsego County 2018 goals
- Conditions in Otsego County
- Otsego County Sheriff's race
- Police chase burglary suspect across two counties
- Suspect killed in head-on crash following Otsego County chase identified
- Otsego County deputies still searching for missing vulnerable woman
- Oriskany Falls man charged after police chase, vehicle fire in Otsego County
- Otsego County seeking governmental improvements
- Mug Club: Otsego County Fair