UTICA, N.Y - The CNY chapter of Citizens Action held a forum about the Utica City School District. Many of the concerns that parents brought with them were concerns about the climate within the schools.
Specifically what they think is a lack of support with students of color, disabilities, and those who have English as a second language.
The goal of the forum was to discuss ways to improve the climate around those students as well as the entire student body.
Many parents in the community feel that they don't have a voice about some of the decisions being made in the district.
"Many parents feel that they are not given a seat at the table when decisions are being made, and we would like to change that. We feel that improvements could be made in the school climate and we would like to partner with the district to move things forward, "said Kristina Andreotta of Citizens Action.
Board of Education member Evon Evrin was there to moderate the panel as well as here what parents had to say.
"As a board member, I believe that it’s important to be a part of what the community is feeling. I just think that we need to work together, these are our children the whole community they belong to us. So, this is why I’m here. Parents have power, but if they don’t come to the meetings to voice their concerns about budgets or whatever we are doing, they need to come and let us know," said Evrin.
The Utica Board of Education has a meeting coming up later this month. The public is encouraged to attend if they have any concerns.
- Parents of UCSD voice their concerns in forum.
- Mug Club: UCSD Kindergarten Registration
- Parents voice concerns about possible closing of Forestport Elementary School
- Dolgeville residents voice concerns over possible slaughterhouse
- UCSD struggles to find money for proposed budget increase
- Voters raise concerns at forum for Utica school board candidates
- Revere Copper chair voices concerns on greenhouse gas bill
- Poland High School students, parents express safety concerns
- Community members raise questions, concerns over downtown hospital project at MVHS forum
- Kelly Clarkson joins 'The Voice'