COOPERSTOWN -- The Cooperstown Central School District held a forum Wednesday night to discuss the arrest of a teacher.
Parents and students came out seeking answers in the arrest of the Cooperstown Junior-Senior High School physical education teacher. Justin Hobbie is facing charges of receiving and distributing child pornography online.
Brittney Janitz, a student at Cooperstown Junior-Senior High School, shared her thoughts.
"He was a health teacher, too,” Janitz said. “He taught us sex-ed, and I'm just disgusted at the fact that he told us 'don't do this, don't do that' but he was doing it the whole time?"
The U.S. Attorney’s prosecutor and Homeland Security officials were in attendance at the meeting, but could not discuss new details in Hobbie’s ongoing investigation. Attendees got a brief overview surrounding Hobbie’s arrest and the charges he is facing, but school officials say they can't give out new information. Parents say they want more.
"They've notified us but really haven't given us real answers," parent Stephen Janitz said.
Students say they hope the school continues to address the situation.
"It's a good school,” said Brittney Janitz. “We have a great education system, but feelings and actions matter."
If convicted, the 41-year-old faces between five and 20 years in prison, as well as post-release supervision and a fine. He would also have to register as a sex offender.
Hobbie's court hearing was adjourned until Dec. 19. Homeland Security urges anyone with information on this matter to contact them at 518-220-2129.
- Parents seek answers in the arrest of Cooperstown High School teacher
- RFA fight caught on video, parents seek answers
- Cooperstown physical education teacher arrested on child porn charges
- No threat found at Cooperstown High School following report
- Cooperstown Says Goodbye to Graduates
- Proposed parking plan in Cooperstown
- Cooperstown woman celebrates 102nd birthday
- Poland High School students, parents express safety concerns
- Celebrating the life of a former Cooperstown Elementary School secretary
- Court appearance delayed for Cooperstown phys-ed teacher facing child porn charges