BOONVILLE - The community came out in droves Tuesday to voice their concerns about the possible closure of Forestport Elementary School.
Adirondack school board officials are considering closing the Forestport school due to decreasing enrollment and a need to save money. At a school board meeting at Boonville Elementary School, parents voiced their concerns about the possibility.
“My daughter is in a class that has seven kids,” said Nicole James, a parent of Forestport students. “One of my other children is in a class that has 16 kids… where are they going to put all those kids? And then when I asked them which classrooms they were going to move, they’re moving AIS students. The students who need special care and special attention they’re being moved… into smaller classrooms.”
A parent of Boonville students, Kathy Hennessey, is in support of the possible school closing.
“I would like to see the integrity of the whole district and to me that means having to close the smaller ones," Hennessey said. “For the longevity of the district as a whole to maintain our whole districts, opportunities for all students then we are looking at having to closing not just Forestport but maybe even this building.”
If the school closes, Forestport students would attend Boonville Elementary School, which could double class sizes and make for a longer commute for Forestport students. School officials say the decision could lead to eight staff members losing their jobs.
“I think there’s better options,” James said. “If Forestport comes around where we have more people living here, our school’s already gone but we can’t get that back.
School officials have until March, 26 to make a decision on the future of Forestport Elementary School.
- Parents voice concerns about possible closing of Forestport Elementary School
- After unanimous vote, Forestport Elementary School is closing
- Residents voice concerns before decision is made on fate of Forestport Elementary
- Vote on Forestport Elementary School tabled until next week
- Parents of UCSD voice their concerns in forum.
- Another inch of snow in Forestport
- Three injured in Forestport fire, home destroyed
- Person identified in deadly Forestport crash
- Dolgeville residents voice concerns over possible slaughterhouse
- Neighbors voice concerns with Kelberman Center apartments