New York State Parole and several local police agencies are searching for a paroled rapist they say cut off his GPS ankle monitor and is now unaccounted for. The state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision says 66-year-old Robert Cook was last seen in Rome around 3pm Wednesday, wearing a yellow windbreaker. The Oneida County Sheriff's Department has assigned some members of their warrants unit to parole to help bring in what they're calling an extremely dangerous man.
"This one is someone that needs to be taken seriously. As everyone knows, he's on the registry as a level three offender. That's the highest level, most likely to potentially reoffend," says Oneida County Sheriff Robert Maciol.
Cook is 5'9, 240 lbs, with grey hair and hazel eyes. Sheriff Maciol says if you see him, stay away and immediately call 911. But authorities aren't waiting for him to cross paths with the public.
"I want to assure everyone that everyone's doing everything they can to locate him," said Maciol.
Cooke's Utica housemates say he was unsociable and they always thought he was dangerous.
- Paroled rapist still sought
- Police: Paroled rapist who removed ankle monitor arrested
- Parole check leads to Rome meth bust
- Convicted rapist who allegedly removed monitoring bracelets pleads not guilty to criminal mischief charges
- Convicted rapist who cut ankle bracelet, fled area sentenced to prison time
- Volunteers sought for New York's summer wild turkey survey
- Report: State sought pre-primary opening for new bridge
- Prosecutor: Chili's double homicide suspect sought to kill 2 more
- Danfoss hits milestone; chip fab plant still sought
- Order sought to let unvaccinated NY students attend school