The cold weather and snow can’t keep central New Yorkers away on Heart Run and Walk day!
The biggest events of the day, the 3-mile and 5-mile walks, just kicked off from Utica College. By the time the countdown clock kicked off, participants were lined up as far as the eye could see.
People are dressed in all kinds of gear, from costumes, to firefighter turnout gear, to personalized clothing commemorating loved ones that they’re walking in honor of. Even those who say they don’t know anybody with heart disease are turning out to support the cause.
A woman who’s part of the team “Brooks’ Mile” says she’s walking in honor of her grandson today.
“Today is a real important day for me. My dad died three years ago today with a heart problem, and 10 years ago my grandson succumbed to another heart problem. And I’m doing it for them, but most of all for the whole community, because I know how many people have been touched by heart problems and have lost loved ones.”
If you’re home today but still want to donate to the cause, you can call 1-866-374-9588 before 1 p.m. to make a donation to the WKTV Heart Telethon!
If you're participating in or spectating at the Heart Run and Walk today, don't forget to share your photos on social media using the hashtag #WKTVHeart and we'll add them to our online gallery!
- Participants as far as the eye can see kick off 3-mile and 5-mile walks
- Start line of 3-mile and 5-mile runs
- 3-mile and 5-mile runs kick off at 2019 Heart Run
- 400 turn out for first annual Connor's Way 5-Mile Scenic Memorial Run/Walk in Hinckley
- Participants refuel following Heart Run and Walk
- Heart Run and Walk officials want to reach 10,000 participants
- Poland seniors, first-graders participate in Indoor Heart Walk
- Sauquoit Valley students participate in National Student Walk Out
- 3 and 5-mile walkers start: #TeamReale wears blue flannel for late grandfather
- Mangia! Utica Restaurant Week kicks off Friday with more than 50 participating eateries