WEST WINFIELD, NY- Questions surrounding the future of Mount Markham's high school football coach.
Loren Winegard has told his staff and players that he may not be back to coach the team next season.
Tuesday, current and former players showed up at Mount Markham's regularly scheduled school board meeting to show support for the coach.
Three members of the audience, two former players and a current student, spoke out in support of the coach.
Many players nodding in agreement when the three told the school board how the coach influenced and shaped their lives.
"He's really a great guy," says Mount Markham 10th grader Dillon Donley. "If you go up to him and ask him for help he'll assist you with whatever you're having a problem with. He's a good teacher. He's there to make sure everyone succeeds."
Coach Winegard released a statement saying, "I am overwhelmed by the support of my players, past and present, and our community. I am proud that they took the proper avenues to be heard and handled themselves with class."
Newschannel 2 reached out to Mount Markham superintendent Paul Berry, but he says it's a personnel matter and he can't discuss the matter publically.
- Past and present Mustangs show support for Mount Markham football coach
- Community rallies for Mount Markham High School football coach who could face firing
- Former Mt. Markham soccer coach elected to NYSPHSAA Hall of Fame
- School officials address bullying in Mt. Markham schools
- Battle and coach's son Buddy Boeheim carry SU past BC
- Mug Club: RFA Presents Aida
- Mug Club: Identity Theft Presentation
- Procession at St. Mary of Mount Carmel
- WATCH: 2018 High School Football Preview Show
- Mug Club: 12th Man Club Supports UC Football