Beginning at 7 a.m. Tuesday, drivers travelling in the Burrstone Road area will encounter some traffic pattern changes.
Officials with the New York State Department of Transportation are starting phase two of construction to the Burrstone Road Bridge, which will cause traffic detours and some road closures until July 3, when phase two is expected to be complete.
Contractors are starting demolition this week, which could take a few weeks. During phase two, officials with the DOT are urging drivers travelling this area to watch for detour signs and take it slow.
NYSDOT Spokesman Jim Piccola says, "One of the things you can do is make sure you pay attention to all the traffic control devices through that corridor, definitely give yourself some time in the morning because there are going to be delays while they're setting this up and also during peak travel when the traffic pattern is already in place."
The following travel restrictions will be in place until July 3:
- The Lincoln Ave connection to Burrstone road will be closed.
- The ramp from Burrstone Road eastbound to Route 12 North will be closed.
- Traffic coming from the Route 12 North Ramp to Burrstone road will only be able to turn right.
- Burrstone Road eastbound will be reduced to one lane.
Piccola says the goal is get the project done by the time of the Boilermaker Road Race, and then they'll start phase three after that.
- Phase 2 of Burrstone Road Bridge project begins Tuesday
- Burrstone Road Bridge demolition now underway
- Burrstone Road bridge construction complete in Utica
- DOT warns of Arterial lane closures during Burrstone Road bridge deck demolition
- Boilermaker Sunday kicks off with 5K on Burrstone Road
- Road paving will temporarily close portion of Burrstone Road in Utica
- Traffic alert: Bridge replacement project begins in village of Oriskany
- 3 car accident shuts down Burrstone Road in New York Mills
- Four car accident ties up traffic on Burrstone Road in Utica
- Route 51 bridge project prompts road closure in Herkimer