UTICA – The new design elements of the former General Electric building at 1900 Bleecker St. have been revealed. The building, which was purchased in 2018 by Bowers Development for $400,000, has been vacant for more than a decade.
The development project will include removal of hazardous materials and demolition of parts of the building. This will turn the 220,000-square-foot facility into a new 84,000-square-foot building, which will meet federal and state standards for energy efficiency and feature 20-to-30-foot high ceilings. The revamp is meant to attract industrial, manufacturing and distribution tenants to the building.
“As we undergo this transformation in buildings as iconic as 1900 Bleecker St., we want to make sure that what they become is every bit as great as what they used to be, “said Utica Mayor Robert M. Palmieri. “I’d like to thank Bowers Development for taking on this project and for believing in Utica. The investment we’re seeing is transforming this city and I’m excited for the future of this project and the future of this facility.”
Bowers Development has worked on other projects in the City of Utica, including the restoration of the security building at 120-126 Bleecker St. that now serves as the new headquarters for the local Legal Aid Society.
The company is also developing other sites in Utica, including the New Century Club at 253 Genesee St, the Kempf Building at 248-250 Genesee St. and the commercial building at 252 Genesee St.
- Design plans revealed for old GE building on Bleecker Street in Utica
- Former GE building, lot on Bleecker Street sold for $400K
- City wants to rehabilitate, sell former GE building on Bleecker Street
- Apartments unveiled at newly renovated Bleecker Street building
- UPDATE: Utica police ID man killed in Bleecker Street shooting
- Utica Police: Bleecker Street homicide suspect arrested in Pennsylvania
- Utica man charged in late night shooting on Bleecker Street
- 2 facing felony drug charges following Bleecker Street search
- Bleecker Street fatal shooting suspect to be arraigned
- Bleecker Street fatal shooting suspect arraigned on murder charge