SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) - Police say a 12-year-old boy has died after being shot in upstate New York.
Authorities say the shooting happened around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday in Syracuse. Sgt. Richard Helterline says the boy was struck near his stomach, and a 33-year-old woman was grazed on the arm.
Syracuse.com reports witnesses told police the boy ran into a convenience store after he was shot, and another woman put the boy in her car and drove him to a hospital.
The boy died at Upstate University Hospital around 3 a.m. Thursday. Police identified him as James Springer III. The woman who was grazed was treated at a hospital for her injury.
An investigation into the shooting is ongoing. Police haven't released possible suspect information.
Police and city officials are expected to discuss the case at a 10 a.m. news conference.
- Police: 12-year-old Syracuse boy dies after being shot
- Police: Man charged in shooting of 12-year-old Syracuse boy
- Syracuse police: Man stole truck, hit vehicles before being shot
- 14-year-old boy in critical condition after being shot in Syracuse
- 2 employees fatally shot during robbery at Syracuse-area restaurant
- Syracuse zoo's female lion, last of triplets, dies at 18
- AAA team Syracuse Mets to play in Syracuse through 2043
- Police: Woman's kidnapping leads to big drug haul in Syracuse
- Syracuse police will alert schools about kids' trauma
- Police: Teenager killed in late-night shooting in Syracuse