CANAJOHARIE, N.Y. -- A New Year's Eve death in Canajoharie is ruled a homicide.
Canajoharie police say 63-year-old Joe Herting died after a fight at a boarding house on Walnut Street just before midnight on New Year’s Eve.
The suspect, 55-year-old Stanley Hall, was charged with second-degree assault.
The coroner did not release autopsy results, other than to say it was a homicide.
The Canajoharie police chief says the last time the department dealt with a death like this was in 1977.
- Police: Fight leads to New Year's Eve homicide in Canajoharie
- Weather to watch New Years Eve
- UFC fighters weigh-in on eve of Fight Night
- NewsTalk: Sheriff Maciol talks New Year's Eve safety
- State Police : 15 year old girl charged with manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide
- Police: Fight leads to weekend shooting on Mohawk Street in Utica
- Free coffee along Thruway, at Stewart's Shops this New Year's Eve
- Utica police release more information about infant homicide investigation
- State police continue to investigate 1972 homicide in Onondaga County
- Utica Police: Bleecker Street homicide suspect arrested in Pennsylvania