YORKVILLE - State Police have released new information regarding their investigation into a murder in the Village of Yorkville early Tuesday morning.
Yorkville Police were called to a home at 10 Jones Place around 3:50 a.m. for what was originally referred to as an assault. State Police were notified about a half hour later.
Police search 10 Jones Place in Yorkville on July 17, 2018
Troopers say they have learned the stabbing was the result of a fight between two brothers. An argument between 37-year-old John "J.W." Ferguson and 42-year-old Daryl L. Ferguson led to John allegedly stabbing Daryl to death.
The brothers lived in the home with their mother. Police say the Fergusons' mother heard them arguing and called 911. When police arrived they found John on the front porch, and Daryl dead from multiple stab wounds in a bedroom inside the home.
John Ferguson has been charged with one count of second-degree murder. He was arraigned Tuesday evening and sent to the Oneida County Jail without bail.
Police say they have recovered what they believe is the murder weapon, a knife. Police say they are familiar with this location and it is not the first time they visited the home.
State Police say they were assisted at the scene by Yorkville Police Department, New York Mills Police Department, Whitestown Police Department, Yorkville Fire Department, and Kunkle Ambulance Service.
This is the first homicide in Yorkville since 2010.
PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Yorkville man accused of stabbing his brother to death
- Police ID Yorkville man accused of stabbing brother to death
- Yorkville man accused of stabbing his brother to death
- Ferguson trial: Yorkville man found guilty in brother's stabbing death
- Yorkville man accused of stabbing brother to death indicted by grand jury
- Yorkville man accused of stabbing brother to death rejects plea offer
- Yorkville man accused of stabbing brother to death pleads not guilty
- Trial begins for Yorkville man accused of stabbing brother to death
- Westernville man accused of stabbing brother
- Sentencing delayed for Yorkville man convicted of killing brother
- Yorkville man convicted of killing brother handed decades behind bars