Police: Man taken into custody after hours-long standoff in town of Russia

State Police say the man who barricaded himself inside a home Sunday night is now in custody, without incident.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 9:29 AM
Updated: Dec 10, 2019 9:29 AM

RUSSIA, N.Y. (UPDATE) - State Police say the man who barricaded himself inside a home Sunday night is now in custody, without incident. 

It had been more than 36 hours since it began. 

Brent Kearney//WKTV

Photo courtesy of Michael Morganstern Jr.

It happened at the intersection of Military Road and Russia Road, in the town of Russia. State Police had a special operations response team and drone unit there. State police said a woman was able to leave the home. 

They have an arrest warrant for the man, over a domestic incident. 

For several hours, he refused to comply with State Police. 

Stay with NEWSChannel 2 throughout the day for details on any criminal charges in the investigation.


RUSSIA, N.Y. – State police are still on the scene of a domestic disturbance on Military Road in the town of Russia where they say a man is potentially armed inside a home after having an altercation with a woman.

After responding to a call around 9:45 p.m. Sunday night, state police called in numerous resources when the situation reportedly escalated. 

Police deploying multiple resources including their Special Operations Response Team (SORT) and their drone unit.

A perimeter has been set up in the area of Military Road near Church and Russia roads. Local traffic is not allowed into the area at this time, including residents of the neighborhood.

Neighbors said that police activity in that area is very unusual.

"A little scary in a way wondering what's going on. I know a lot of these people and most of them are very calm but this is kind of strange you know," said Bob Pomichter.

"This is the quietest neighborhood you have ever seen even the seeing the trooper cars here is unusual," said Dave Sickler

The man who was barricaded inside of the home called the NEWSChannel 2 newsroom. He told the NEWSChannel 2 that he has done nothing wrong and refuses to leave the home. He said State Police had surrounded him and was being told to come out with his hands up.

The woman who he was with was able to leave the home after police attempted to execute an arrest warrant. According to police, felony charges are pending against the man.

Police believe the man is alone inside the residence as of 9:30 a.m. Monday morning.

Article Comments

Hi: 20° Lo: 1°
Feels Like: -8°
10° wxIcon
Hi: 18° Lo: 7°
Feels Like: -4°
Hi: 20° Lo: 4°
Feels Like: -8°
Hi: 13° Lo: -6°
Feels Like: -8°
WKTV Radar
WKTV Temperatures
WKTV Severe Weather

23 courses for only $79.99
Flood Coverage