SCHUYLER – New York State Police are warning residents in the Schuyler area about a scam from people posing as town workers in order to burglarize homes.
Police say around 2 p.m. November 10, a male knocked on the door of a home on Mapleton Drive in the town of Schuyler and told the elderly resident who lived there that he works for the town and needed to check the water pressure for the sewer system.
Police say that when the homeowner let the male in, he asked to go downstairs to the washing machine and requested that the homeowner run a wash cycle. During this time, a second male entered the home and took property from an upstairs bedroom.
A tan colored van may have been used by the suspects, according to police. They say that the initial male who entered the home spoke broken English and may have been of Spanish descent.
If anybody has information regarding this incident or if they’ve seen anything suspicious in the area, they’re asked to call Investigator Michael Benedetto with state police in Herkimer at 315-866-7275.
Police are reminding residents to make sure they know who they’re dealing with before opening the door to strangers, and they say that businesses such as the Mohawk Valley Water Authority have information on their websites regarding the policies, procedures and requirements for uniforms and ID for their employees.
State police offer the following suggestions if you suspect a problem such as this one:
- Call the company's local office to verify ID
- Don’t allow the person inside your home
- Don’t go outside the house with the person
- Call 911 to report a suspicious person
- Police: Scammers in Schuyler area posing as town workers to burglarize homes
- Mug Club: Town of Schuyler 20th Annual Car Show
- Schuyler town officials discuss next steps in proposed water district
- Police warn to watch for Scammers
- Police warning local businesses of scammers
- Otsego County man accused of fleeing from police, burglarizing home
- Questions surround police chase along Route 5 in Schuyler
- Aluminum benches stolen from a Schuyler playground
- Mug Club: Schuyler Lake Truck Pulls
- Cars and corn highlight annual Schuyler event