UTICA, N.Y. -- A Utica man was arrested after allegedly running from police officers during a traffic stop, throwing a gun over a fence, and trying to swallow a bag of crack cocaine.
According to Utica police, members of the department’s tactical unit attempted to conduct a traffic stop near Hobart and Steuben streets at about 12:35 a.m. on Sept. 3.
Police said the driver failed to stop and continued several blocks until reaching the 1300 block of Steuben Street, where the male passenger allegedly jumped from the vehicle while it was still in motion. Police said the passenger then began to run from officers through neighborhood backyards.
During the pursuit, the suspect allegedly discarded an item over a fence, and officers captured him a short distance away.
While arresting the suspect, police said, he tried to swallow a bag of crack cocaine. Officers also found a loaded .40-caliber handgun near the area of the fence where the suspect ran.
The suspect was identified as Reggie Sullivan, 37, of Utica. He was charged with second- and third-degree felony counts of criminal possession of a weapon, a felony count of criminal possession of a firearm, a third-degree felony count of criminal possession of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor count of criminal possession of a controlled substance, resisting arrest, obstruction of governmental administration, and various vehicle and traffic violations.
- Police: Utica man tries to swallow bag of crack cocaine during traffic stop, pursuit
- Utica traffic stop leads to cocaine charge for Oneida man
- Police: 2 Utica men found with 226 grams of cocaine during traffic stop
- Ilion man charged in crack cocaine trafficking investigation
- Cocaine and synthetic marijuana found during Rome traffic stop
- Utica man charged with DWI after fleeing traffic stop
- Utica man and woman charged following investigation into cocaine sales
- Utica man pleads guilty in cocaine conspiracy case
- Police: Utica man found with more than a pound of marijuana during traffic stop
- Frankfort Police discover stolen gun during traffic stop, Utica man charged