UTICA, N.Y. -- A 68-year-old Utica woman is in critical condition after she was allegedly attacked by her grandson Sunday night.
Utica police say they were called to a first-floor apartment on the 1600 block of West Street for a reported domestic dispute just before 9 p.m.
The woman, whose name is not being released at this time, was rushed to the hospital and allegedly told police that her grandson, 23-year-old Andre 'A.J.' Anderson, attacked her with a knife and then set the house on fire.
Utica Police Lt. Bryan Coromato says when police arrived they found smoke in the hallway leading into the first floor apartment. Officers then forced their way in and found the victim had suffered multiple injuries, including second and third-degree burns and lacerations from a knife.
The 68-year-old woman is being treated at a Syracuse hospital and listed in critical condition.
Coromato says someone who lives in the second floor apartment was the person who called 911, "What they heard was some arguing that disturbed them enough to where they had to contact us."
Coromato says the caller also told police Anderson fled the scene in a vehicle. Police say that vehicle was found almost 8 hours later, around 4:30 a.m., at the Happy Journey Motel. Coromato says officers went in and surrounded his room, "They called out to him, he came out and surrendered."
Anderson has been charged with second-degree attempted murder, and first-degree assault. Other charges are pending, and the investigation is ongoing.
A neighbor, Ruthann Spratt, says people in the neighborhood call the woman Miss Freddie, "Yes Miss Freddie. Everybody knew her as Miss Freddie on the block. Such a beautiful bright lady who would come out of her house every day and wave, go catch the bus every day, don’t bother nobody."
Spratt says she is praying Miss Freddie survives. She says Miss Freddie had her grandson live with her after his mother passed away about two years ago, "Why would he do that to his grandmother after she took him in and helped him out all this time."
- Police: Utica woman critically injured after grandson attacked her, set house on fire
- 2 men shot outside home where woman, grandson were killed
- Man critically injured in Utica shooting, investigation ongoing
- Utica woman injured in Westmoreland rollover crash
- Woman injured after crash into Utica hotel
- Clark Mills woman critically injured in Kirkland crash
- Police ID Utica shooting suspect, victim remains critical
- Man critically injured after Inlet snowmobile crash
- Camden man critically injured in snowmobile crash
- Foundations in place for Utica's first set of 'Small Houses'