Authorities have arrested a Herkimer man accused of burglarizing, or trying to burglarize, at least six businesses between three different counties over Fourth of July weekend.
John J. Lemche III, 23, has been charged with the following:
- Two counts of third-degree burglary, felony
- One count of attempted burglary, felony
- Two counts of petit larceny, misdemeanor
- Two counts of fourth-degree criminal mischief, misdemeanor
According to New York State Police, Lemche is accused of breaking into the following businesses in the early morning hours of July 5:
- Covered Bridge Convenience Store, Salisbury Center, Herkimer County
- Dolgeville Rod and Gun Club, Manheim, Herkimer County
- Lombardo’s Pizza Plus, St. Johnsville, Montgomery County
- Parkside Drive-in, St. Johnsville, Montgomery County
- Ayres Memorial Animal Shelter, Sprakers, Montgomery County
- Kelly’s Deli, Springfield Center, Otsego County
State police worked with the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office to gather information about all of the incidents and reach out to the public for assistance. Several clips of surveillance video were shared on social media to help identify the suspect.
Lemche was arrested on July 9, and arraigned in Montgomery County before he was taken to the Herkimer County Correctional Facility, where he is being held on a parole violation.