RUSSIA, N.Y. – State police have arrested Mathew E. Bienick after a nearly 30-hour standoff with authorities at his home at 5111 Military Road in the town of Russia.
Police say Bienick, 42, refused to speak with authorities and barricaded himself inside his house after troopers responded to a 911 hang-up around 6:20 p.m. on Sunday.
Brent Kearney // WKTV
When troopers arrived on scene, they interviewed a 36-year-old woman who told police Bienick threatened to kill her and himself, and punched her in the nose during an argument.
Police say the woman also alleges that a few weeks prior to this incident, Bienick grabbed a rifle from his closet and put it in her mouth, before firing the gun inside a bedroom to get her attention.
The state police crisis negotiators and Special Operation Response Team were called on scene to assist after Bienick refused to leave his residence. A perimeter was also set up on Military Road at Russia Road, and no local traffic was allowed in or out of the area.
At approximately midnight on Tuesday, Dec. 10, Bienick surrendered himself to troopers and was taken into custody without incident.
Bienick is charged with third-degree possession of a weapon, second-degree menacing, second-degree reckless endangerment, second-degree unlawful imprisonment and second-degree harassment.
He was arraigned in the town of German Flatts Court and remanded to the Herkimer County Jail on $15,000 cash bail and is scheduled to appear back in the town of German Flatts Court on Dec. 17, at 3 p.m.
- Police charge man after lengthy standoff in town of Russia
- Police: Man taken into custody after hours-long standoff in town of Russia
- Standoff in the town of Floyd, man in custody
- State police seek pickup truck stolen in town of Russia
- Possible armed robbery in town of Russia
- Rome man charged with harassing Town of Webb police officer
- UPDATE: Man charged with assault following 7-hour standoff in Rome
- Demko returns to ice after lengthy concussion rehab
- 27-year-old Ilion man facing charges after 3 1/2-hour standoff with police
- Ilion standoff ends peacefully