WASHINGTON MILLS, N.Y. – In February of 2019, a man was allegedly robbed and dragged across a Hannaford parking lot while purchasing a PlayStation from a seller he met on the LetGo app.
Nicholas Beecher, of Chadwicks, ended up in the hospital after the incident with several injuries, including hematomas to the brain. Beecher says two men stole cash from him and grabbed his belt before they drove off, dragging him along with the vehicle.
In June of 2019, police arrested 22-year-old Marquise Howard of Rome and charged him with robbery. Police say he was the passenger in the vehicle.
Another suspect was arrested Wednesday in connection with the same incident. Police say after a lengthy investigation, they have arrested Joseph Smith, 24, of Utica, and charged him with first-degree robbery.
Police say Beecher was meeting the two men for the exchange at the Washington Mills Hannaford around 7 p.m. on Feb. 15, 2019. When Beecher approached the vehicle with $140 in cash, Howard grabbed the money out of his hand, and then held on to his belt while Smith attempted to drive away. Beecher was dragged until Howard let go.
Smith was taken into custody during a traffic stop in Utica on an active warrant stemming from this investigation.
He was arraigned in Oneida County Court.
- Police make second arrest after man was allegedly robbed, dragged across parking lot
- Chadwicks man: They robbed me and dragged me across the parking lot
- Arrest made in case where Chadwicks man was dragged across Hannaford parking lot
- A woman was allegedly hit by her ex in college parking lot
- Oneida middle school student arrested for allegedly making threats
- Rome parking garage to temporarily become parking lot
- Fayetteville man arrested for allegedly stealing a car in Cooperstown
- Verona man arrested after allegedly striking truck with brass knuckles
- Worcester man arrested after allegedly poisoning cats with antifreeze
- Norwich man arrested for allegedly displaying gun during domestic dispute