WEST WINFIELD, N.Y. -- The Mt. Markham Central School District says eighth grade students were suspended after a threat was posted on social media over the weekend.
State Police and members of the Herkimer County Sheriff's Department were on campus Tuesday in response to a social media threat made the night of Sunday, Jan. 19, among middle school students.
By the afternoon of Monday, Jan. 20, school officials, working with state police in an investigation, addressed the matter.
School officials say they will continue working with the families involved and hope school will not be disrupted today.
All online activities at the school are being monitored following the social media post.
The school district did not specify the exact number of students involved, but says police did follow up with their families.
The school superintendent, Paul Berry, posted a notice on the district's website, stating:
"As a community, we are encouraged to monitor the online activity of our children; we are encouraged to help our children understand the seriousness and inappropriateness of threats and name calling; finally, we are encouraged to have our children speak to a caring and responsible adult when concerned."
- UPDATE: Mt. Markham students suspended after school threat
- School officials address bullying in Mt. Markham schools
- Former Mt. Markham soccer coach elected to NYSPHSAA Hall of Fame
- West Canada Valley wins nail-biter over Mt. Markham, Waterville handles Clinton in boys basketball to highlight Thursday's action
- Mt. Markham earns huge upset win over top-seed West Canada Valley; Oriskany baseball, softball advance in Class C tournament
- 9-14-19 SCORES: Mt. Markham football shuts out Holland Patent, Utica College rallies past Buffalo State to remain perfect
- 10-5-19 SCORES: Mt. Markham edges Westmoreland/Oriskany on homecoming day; SUNY Poly sweeps men's and women's soccer doubleheader
- Mug Club: Mount Markham HS Drama Club, "A Christmas Story"
- 2-11-20 SCORES: New Hartford boys top CVA; Cooperstown girls hold off Mt. Markham to clinch CSC-III crown; VVS girls volleyball advances to Section III Class B final