Photo Gallery 5 Images
BLOSSVALE, N.Y. – State Police have released the name of the man arrested after a domestic dispute was reported on Deeley Road in Blossvale early Wednesday morning, which then led to a 12-hour standoff with police.
State Police now say Joseph Cromp Sr., of Blossvale, forcibly entered a home at 8211 Deeley Road after midnight Wednesday morning, armed with a revolver and engaged in a physical altercation with his 22-year-old son and another adult male.
Police say Cromp Sr. forcibly removed his son from that home and forced him to go with him to his own home at 8143 Deeley Road. Police say the son was able to exit the residence without incident.
Initially, Cromp Sr. refused to exit, but then ultimately surrendered around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.
A search warrant was executed at the residence and numerous firearms were recovered, including the pistol used in the crime.
Cromp Sr. was charged with first-degree burglary, criminal possession of a weapon, menacing, endanger the welfare of a child, criminal possession of a weapon and criminal mischief.
Police say when officers responded to the scene, no one would answer the door. This prompted officers to request backup from the SWAT team, snipers and police K-9s. Police then began to secure the area to investigate.
"The reason the roadway's closed off is because we wanted it as a precautionary measure to make sure there was no weapons involved, and we were able to get into the house using our SOR Team. Special Operations Response Team, and that individual is now into custody," said Jack Keller, public information officer for the New York State Police.
Police say Cromp Sr. has been convicted of felonies in the past.
- UPDATE: Police release name of man arrested after 12-hour standoff in Blossvale
- Cancer successfully removed during Jim Kelly's 12-hour surgery
- UPDATE: Verona man arrested following dispute, 10-hour standoff
- Blossvale woman sentenced to prison time for fatal DWI crash
- UPDATE: Blossvale trailer a total loss after fire; Red Cross assisting 2 people
- Police: Blossvale woman with BAC level twice legal limit almost hits trooper car
- UPDATE: Man charged with assault following 7-hour standoff in Rome
- Man arrested following Ilion standoff on Spinnerville Gulf Road
- Blossvale woman accused of DWI-related fatal crash appears in court
- Blossvale woman pleads guilty to killing Utica woman in DWI crash