UPDATE: The Oneida County Sheriff’s Office has released more information about the stolen vehicle investigation on State Route 49.
Deputies say at approximately 12:38 p.m. Tuesday, a deputy spotted a vehicle stolen from the city of Oneida that was stopped on the off-ramp from State Route 49 to Oriskany, at the Whitestown/Marcy town line. Deputies say the vehicle was wrecked and still running, which led them to believe it was recently abandoned.
A New York State Police K9 unit was in the area and responded within minutes to begin the search. The K9 unit believed they were on the trail of the suspect, and a second K9 bloodhound also responded to assist in the search.
Deputies say the search was called off at approximately 2:06 p.m. because the K9 handlers believed the suspect was picked up by another vehicle.
The investigation is ongoing, and it’s being conducted by the Sheriff’s Office and the City of Oneida Police Department. Deputies say there are no further details to release at this time.
The Oneida County Sheriff’s Office and New York State Police are currently investigating a stolen vehicle on State Route 49, according to the Sheriff’s Office.
Several people called the NEWSChannel 2 newsroom to report a heavy police presence on State Route 49 between the Oriskany exit and the Marcy exit at State Route 291.
Deputies confirmed to NEWSChannel 2 that a stolen vehicle was recovered in that area, and they are currently searching for the driver who took off on foot. Two K9s and their handlers were seen going into the woods to search for the driver, just west of the Route 291 exit.
NEWSChannel 2 crews are on scene now. We will provide more information as it becomes available.
- UPDATE: Police call off search for driver of stolen vehicle on State Route 49
- Fatal Accident on Route 49 in Rome
- Ramp closure on State Route 49 in Rome this week
- Jackknifed tractor-trailer shuts down Route 49 in Marcy
- Rollover crash causes traffic delays on Route 49 in Marcy
- Rollover crash slowed traffic on Route 49 in Rome
- 78-year-old injured in Floyd rollover crash on Route 49
- Route 5S construction update
- K9s aid in search for stolen car suspect off Rt. 49
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Construction continues on Second Street in Utica, Route 49 in Marcy