MOHAWK -- A procession was held in Mohawk Friday to honor a beloved member of the community.
Dozens of people came out to the American Legion in Mohawk to mourn the loss of Steven DeRosa, or as friends and family call him, "Geeber". A Memorial followed the precession, which started in Ilion and made a stop in Mohawk. Friends of DeRosa say he was very involved in the community and made a significant impact.
"I've known him pretty much since the day I was born," said longtime friend Gary Urich. "Just a wonderful guy. That's all you can say about him."
Steven DeRosa was killed in a motorcycle accident in the Village of Mohawk after crashing into a pole on Main Street. DeRosa was a longtime member of the Mohawk Fire Dept. and a member of the Sons of American Legion. Friends say he was a large part of their lives, and he will be truly missed.
"The guy would give you the shirt off his back," Urich said. "He would do anthing for anybody. One of the hardest working men I ever knew. Brilliant mechanic and just a man, that I can truly say, that nobody disliked Geeb."
DeRosa was a father, a brother, a son, and a piece of the community that loved ones will never forget.
"He was always willing to help," said close friend Nancy Diehl. "He helped everybody. He was just amazing and the tribute today just proves that."
- Procession honors loved Mohawk resident
- Mohawk Graduate Jarvis honored
- Mohawk Valley Frontiers honor MLK with luncheon in his honor
- Trailer Fire in Mohawk
- Mohawk Valley Edge honors 6 local companies at award ceremony
- Mohawk Valley recognizes Good Friday
- Memorial Walk planned for Tuesday to honor victims of 2013 Mohawk, Herkimer shootings
- Empire Recycling honored for continued growth, commitment to the Mohawk Valley
- Procession at St. Mary of Mount Carmel
- Mug Club:Lady of Fatima Procession