SCHOHARIE, N.Y. (AP) - Prosecutors say the limousine company operator charged in connection with an upstate New York crash that killed 20 people was aware of prior passenger complaints about the ill-fated vehicle and had even refunded fares.
In a document filed last week in the case against Nauman Hussain, Schoharie County District Attorney Susan Mallery also said individuals had refused to drive the 2001 Ford Excursion stretch limousine because of its poor condition.
Hussain faces 20 counts of second-degree manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide in the Oct. 6 crash in rural Schoharie. State police have said the limo should have been taken out of service based on brake issues identified in a September inspection.
Attorney Lee Kindlon said the defense team won't comment on individual pieces of evidence before trial, set for September.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Prosecutor: Limo company operator knew of vehicle problems
- Limo company operator facing 39 new charges
- Limo company operator pleads not guilty in fatal crash
- UPDATE: Limo co. operator had packed bags when arrested
- Lawsuit filed against operators of limo in fatal NY crash
- Grand jury to oversee Schoharie limo crash
- Harden Furniture suspends operations following sale to Illinois company
- 20 dead after limo crashes into Schoharie tourist spot
- Cuomo: Limo that crashed in Schoharie failed state inspection