Photo Gallery 4 Images
FRANKFORT, N.Y. -- A truck driver steered a runaway tractor-trailer into the woods to avoid hitting homes and people in Frankfort Thursday.
The quick-thinking driver was reportedly unable to stop the tractor-trailer, going down the hill on Cemetery Street, but the driver found a way to steer truck into the woods to avoid hitting anything. He then was able to jump out before the truck crashed, witnesses say.
A Frankfort Highway Department employee says he witnessed the entire incident, and is calling the truck driver a hero. Officials say it could have ended much differently.
The driver was taken to the hospital for treatment, but ultimately Frankfort police say he wasn't seriously injured.
The out-of-control truck rolled over and sits in the backyard of a home on the corner of West Main and Cemetery streets. It did spill fuel when it crashed, and crews are assessing the damage.
There is no word on why the truck was unable to stop at this point.
Power was shut off for a portion of the afternoon in the area, and Cemetery Road is closed from Grandview Avenue to West Main Street due to the crash.
- Quick-thinking driver steers truck into Frankfort woods to crash
- Fiat Chrysler recalls over 660K trucks; steering could fail
- Stomach aches: Finding quick relief
- Fuel leak in Annsville after driver crashed into propane truck
- Truck driver dead following Thruway crash in German Flatts
- Frankfort Police Incident Update
- Woods Valley opens early
- Firefighters quick work, saves a Laurens home
- Heavy fog plays role in Frankfort two-car crash
- Woman crashes car into Frankfort Rite Aid, employees say