A rabid raccoon has been found in the town of Litchfield, according to the Herkimer County Public Health Department.
Health officials say a raccoon found in Litchfield was sent to Wadsworth Laboratory and confirmed to be infected with the rabies virus, and the rabid raccoon also had direct contact with two dogs.
Health officials are reminding Herkimer County residents that rabies is endemic in Herkimer County as well as surrounding counties. All bites and exposures must be reported to the local health department, and pets must be kept up-to-date on their rabies vaccines.
If an unvaccinated animal is exposed to a rabid animal, they must be quarantined for six months or euthanized.
For a full list of rabies clinics in Herkimer County this year, click here.
- Rabid raccoon found in Litchfield
- Rabid raccoon found in town of Columbia
- Dog kills rabid raccoon in Annsville
- Rabid raccoon found in German Flatts; unvaccinated dog now quarantined
- Sauquoit man killed in 1-car crash in Litchfield
- Fairfield resident attacked by rabid fox
- Rabid skunk reported in Oneida County
- Rabid cat and bat confirmed in Herkimer County
- 4 animals confirmed to be rabid in Herkimer County
- VIDEO: Raccoon captivates internet with Minnesota skyscraper climb