UTICA, N.Y. -- Volunteers from the Mohawk Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross are providing immediate emergency aid to a family of four after a fire at a historic building in Oneida Square.
The three-story building in the 1300 block of Genesee Street is mixed-use – both commercial and residential.
There are businesses at the street level, a restaurant and a salon, and apartments upstairs.
The fire started around 5 p.m. Wednesday night.
The Red Cross is stepping in to help out with financial assistance for shelter, food and clothing to two adults and two children, aged 8 and 16.
Volunteers are offering emotional support, comfort kits containing personal care items and stuffed animals for the children.
In the coming days, Red Cross staff and volunteers will be on hand to help those affected by the fire as they get back on their feet.
The extent of the damage is not clear.
There are no reports of anyone getting hurt, and at this point – there's no word on a cause of the fire.