NEW YORK (AP) - Mookie Betts and the Boston Red Sox won their third consecutive AL East championship Thursday night, clinching on enemy turf with an 11-6 victory over the rival New York Yankees.
Betts homered, doubled twice and drove in five runs, finishing with four hits as the Red Sox overcame Giancarlo Stanton's go-ahead grand slam in the fourth inning. Jackie Bradley Jr. hit a tying home run in the seventh and Xander Bogaerts put Boston ahead with a sacrifice fly.
With the best record in baseball and a playoff berth already secured, Boston (104-49) closed out a once-tight division race with nine games to spare. J.D. Martinez and the Red Sox, alone in first place since July 2, will open the postseason at home on Oct. 5 against an opponent to be determined.
Never before had Boston finished in first place three years in a row. The club needs one victory to match the franchise record held by the 1912 World Series champions.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Red Sox clinch 3rd straight AL East title with win at Yanks
- Yankees clinch 1st AL East title since 2012, reach 100 wins
- Red Sox hold off Yanks in Game 4, face Astros in ALCS
- Blue Sox clinch West Division title with doubleheader sweep over DiamondDawgs
- Blue Sox earn fourth straight win as they hang on to beat Pilots 8-7
- 2-10-20 SCORES: Cooperstown clinches CSC-III title with win over Mt. Markham; Frankfort-Schuyler tops Oriskany in CSC-II battle; Red-hot Herkimer wins CSC-II title in victory over Little Falls
- Blue Sox top Dragons to get back in win column; DiamondDawgs drop fourth straight in extras to Mohawks
- 2-14-20 SPORTS EXPRESS: UC men's hockey wins 13th-straight game; UC women's hockey clinches playoff spot with win over King's College; Hamilton girls basketball wins CSC Division IV title
- Morrisville earns third straight NEAC title in hard fought win over SUNY Poly
- Yankees and Red Sox to play in London in 2019