ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - A Republican congresswoman from upstate New York says "many" people who commit mass murder are Democrats.
U.S. Rep. Claudia Tenney made the comment Wednesday on Talk 1300 Radio during a discussion about calls for stricter gun control since last week's deadly Florida high school shooting. She says she finds it interesting "so many" people who commit mass murders "end up being Democrats" but offers no evidence to support that.
Democratic state Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi is opposing Tenney this fall and calls her comments "disgusting" and "toxic."
Tenney later said her comments were in response to a question about the failure to prosecute illegal gun crimes.
Tenney was first elected in 2016. Her district covers a large swath of central New York including the cities of Binghamton, Utica and Rome.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
-----UPDATED BY WKTV-----
A statement from Congresswoman Claudia Tenney regarding her comments in an interview with Fred Dicker Wednesday:
"I am fed up with the media and liberals attempting to politicize tragedies and demonize law-abiding gun owners and conservative Americans every time there is a horrible tragedy. While we know the perpetrators of these atrocities have a wide variety of political views, my comments are in response to a question about the failure to prosecute illegal gun crime. I will continue to stand up for law-abiding citizens who are smeared by anti-gun liberal elitists," said Congresswoman Claudia Tenney.
You can listen to the full interview with Talk 1300 Radio here.
- Rep. Tenney: Many mass murderers are Democrats
- Rep. Claudia Tenney congratulates Erin Hamlin
- Rep. Claudia Tenney talks about her first year in office
- Reps. Tenney and Faso react to Trump's meeting with Putin
- Eric Trump visits New Hartford to campaign for Rep. Tenney
- Donald Trump Jr. Campaigns for Rep. Tenney on election eve
- Tenney Speaks on Tax Bill
- Tenney talks possible government shutdown
- Tenney Re-Election Gets Heated
- Ivanka Trump, Rep. Tenney talk tax cuts at upstate paving company