ONEONTA – A retired general from Otsego County has announced he plans to challenge Rep. Antonio Delgado for his 19th Congressional District seat next year.
Anthony "Tony" German, the former Adjutant General of the New York National Guard, announced his candidacy Wednesday. In a press release, the Republican says he has filed paperwork with the Federal Election Commission.
According to German’s campaign, he is a graduate of SUNY Oneonta and the Naval War College. He spent 36-years in the U.S military, rising to the rank of two-star general.
“After 36 years of serving our country and our State, I’m looking for another opportunity to serve. Our political system is broken and dysfunctional and our current representative has grown increasingly out-of-touch. Congressman Delgado ran as a moderate Democrat with a unifying message, and I had hoped that he would be an independent check on the most extreme elements of his party. He has failed to do so. I have lived in this district my entire life and I know how to fight for New Yorkers. I’m ready for this challenge,” said German in an email statement.
Delgado, a Democrat, is currently in his first term. He defeated one-term Rep. John Faso in a close race in 2018. His campaign released a statement responding to German's announcement.
"Congressman Delgado is focused on making life better for the people in our region and working to find bipartisan solutions to lower health care costs, expand rural broadband and support family farmers and veterans. That's why he has held twenty-one town halls across the district, and will continue to serve with accessibility, accountability and transparency."
The 19th Congressional District covers all or part of 11 counties in the Catskill and Hudson Valley regions of New York State. Otsego County is in the northwestern part of the district.
- Retired general to challenge Congressman Delgado for 19th District seat
- Delgado ousts GOP's Faso in 19th Congressional District race
- Congressman Delgado assembles new health committee
- Rep. Delgado commemorates 100th anniversary of 19th Amendment
- Rhinebeck lawyer Antonio Delgado declares victory in 19th District Democratic primary
- Former VP Joe Biden stumps for Delgado in 19th Congressional District race
- Congressman Delgado discusses farm issues, student loans during town hall meeting
- Congressman Maloney enters race for attorney general
- Delgado to open Congressional office in Oneonta
- Cooperstown woman announces campaign for 19th Congressional District race