A Rome couple is charged with criminally negligent homicide in the death last August of their six-month-old daughter.
Rome Police say Elaina Dyer died on or about August 28th, in her mother's apartment, at 111 W. Embargo Street, in Rome. Twenty-nine-year-old Brooke Renzi and 26-year-old Derek Dyer are charged with criminally negligent homicide.
"What the allegation of criminal negligence means, is, there was a risk that was not perceived by the actor, and as a result of that risk, there was a death," explains Oneida County First Assistant District Attorney, Dawn Catera Lupi.
Lupi declined to elaborate on what it is the child's parents are accused of doing, or not doing. Rome Police say the couple failed to check on their daughter for 12 hours, and called 911 when they found her unconscious.
Lupi says the couple turned themselve in to authorities on Thursday, and each posted $5000 bond after their arraignment, Friday morning, and are currently not in jail.
As for the eight-month gap between the child's death and her parents being charged, Lupi says it takes time to build a solid case.
"There's an investigation that goes on that's sometimes lengthy, and obviously there were a lot of reports and information that we needed to review and just scheduling."
Renzi and Dyer's next court appearance is May 20th.
- Rome couple charged in infant daughter's death
- Trial date set for Rome woman charged in daughter's death
- Rome father charged in daughter's death back in court Monday
- Infant Death Investigation
- Rome parents, accused in daughter's death, offered plea deal
- Rome man accused in daughter's death back in court Tuesday
- Case against Rome mother charged in daughter's death back in court
- Infant death investigation underway in Marshall
- Rome mother charged in baby's death rejects plea deal
- Rome man accused in connection with daughter's death rejects plea deal