The parents and a one-year-old child who survived the fire Tuesday that claimed the lives of their three older children have been released from the hospital. Fire tore through the Pine Haven Circle home in Rome's outer district, around midnight Tuesday. Two-year-old Temprince Croad, three-year-old Patrick III and four-year-old Eliesse Croad died in the fire. Their mother, Gabrielle Croad, suffered burns. Their father, Patrick Croad II, suffered burns trying to save the three children. One-year-old sister, Kaydence, suffered burns on both arms. Kaydence, Patrick and Gabrielled Croad were released from Upstate Medical Center, in Syracuse, on Wednesday.
Relatives say the family is staying with Patrick's parents. Cousins have set up a GoFundMe account, to help them with funeral expenses for their three children and other unanticipated expenses. Cousin Laurie Semo set up an account at Americu. She was so moved, she couldn't even finish reading the personal messages that accompanied the donations on the GoFundMe page.
"I started to, but I...it's heartwrenching..." said Semo, further moved by the fact that the vast majority of donors are strangers, who've never even met the Croad family.
"I was kind of skimming through some of the names and 90% of them I wouldn't even recognize but it's fantastic to know there's people that would care that much about a total stranger," said Semo.
Monetary donations can be made at any Americu branch. Clothing donations only can be brought to the Black River Blvd. branch, in Rome. Size large shirt and 32/34 pants for Patrick Croad; large shirt and pants for Gabrielle and size 18 months girls clothing for baby Kaydence.
Semo says the family is reading the personal messages on the GoFundMe page.
Fire investigators have cleared the scene, and lab results are awaited to help determine the fire's cause.