ROME, N.Y. -- The search for a missing mother of three from Rome is over; the search is underway for answers as to why she ended up in a dumpster, then a landfill – possibly at her husband's hand.
Victim Kerrilee D'Avolio's husband, Jason D'Avolio, was just arraigned in Rome City Court on a charge of concealment of a human corpse – a felony.
He pleaded not guilty, and a judge set bail at $10,000 cash or $20,000 bond.
Police say more charges are anticipated, pending the outcome of their investigation.
Authorities believe Kerrilee D'Avolio was killed in the couple's Belmont Street home over the weekend, and Jason was identified as the prime suspect at a news conference Monday afternoon.
Investigators, acting on information provided by the suspect, first searched local dumpsters, then the Western Oneida County Waste Disposal Transfer Station in Rome, and ultimately the Oneida County landfill in Ava. Police say Kerrilee's body has been turned over to the Onondaga County Medical Examiner's Office, and they will release more information on the case after an autopsy is complete.
At the request of the Rome Police Department, an Oneida County Sheriff's Office dive team searched an area of the Barge Canal off the Mill Street bridge Tuesday morning. Within an hour divers found a long gun which matched the description of the gun Rome police were looking for.
Police say the couple was in the initial stages of a divorce, and their three children - ages 2, 4, and 5 - are safe with family.
The judge also issued an order of protection for the couple's three children.
Rome police say additional charges are anticipated pending an autopsy.
- Rome man charged after wife's body found in landfill
- Rome man charged with strangulation, harassment
- Rome man charged in domestic dispute
- Missing Dolgeville Man's body found in Fairfield
- Food2Energy program removes food waste from landfill
- Albany man found guilty in crash that killed Rome veteran
- Illinois man found with missing girl in Rome pleads guilty
- UPDATE: Rome Police say missing man has been found
- Man charged with assaulting wife, damaging her car with ax
- Rome Police: Man threatens and sends gun magazines to estranged wife