A Rome man is facing a list of charges after he allegedly broke into multiple residences, was involved in several domestic disputes with his wife, and struck a police officer with his vehicle, according to the Rome Police Department.
Police say at approximately 2:30 a.m. Sunday, they took 30-year-old Jeffrey Smith-Brown into custody after he unlawfully went into a residence in the 500 block of West Liberty Street in Rome. Police say Smith-Brown walked into the home around 2:25 a.m. and was immediately detained by one of the residents, who didn’t know Smith-Brown, while the other resident called 911.
In connection to that incident, Smith-Brown was charged with misdemeanor second-degree criminal trespass, but police say he was also wanted on felony charges related to domestic incidents that had occurred over the last four to five days and as recent as the last couple hours.
Police say a couple hours prior to his arrest, Smith-Brown had broken into his former home and assaulted his wife, who had an active order of protection against him, then fled the scene before police arrived.
Police say Smith-Brown was also wanted in connection to an incident on Oct. 16, where Smith-Brown allegedly went into his former residence and assaulted his wife. Police say he was on scene when police arrived, and he struck an officer with his vehicle as he attempted to flee the scene.
Smith-Brown is charged with:
- Three counts of first-degree criminal contempt (Felony)
- First-degree burglary (Felony)
- Second-degree reckless endangerment (Misdemeanor)
- Second-degree criminal trespass (Misdemeanor)
- Reckless driving (Misdemeanor)
Smith-Brown was taken to the Rome Police Department to be processed and arraigned. Police say the investigation is ongoing and further charges are pending.
- Rome man charged in connection to break-ins, domestic disputes
- YouTube shooting may be domestic dispute
- Rome man accused of showing loaded handgun during dispute
- UPDATE: Man charged with assault following 7-hour standoff in Rome
- 3 facing drug charges in Rome
- Man charged with manslaughter in connection to Utica woman's death
- Dog Saves Rome Man's Life
- Car Larcenies in Rome
- Rome man facing charges following a multi-agency investigation
- Traffic stop leads to aggravated DWI charge for Rome man