ROME, NY - The Rome City School District says George Staley Elementary School will be closed Thursday and Friday.
We’re told the reason is for a building maintenance concern.
The district is asking all staff to report to Rome Free Academy on Thursday.
The Rome YMCA says it will offer child care from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Thursday and Friday for Staley students.
Here's a note from Superintendent Peter Blake posted on the Staley Elementary School PTG Facebook page on Wednesday:
Good Evening All-
Over the past several weeks, with higher than normal temperatures, higher than normal dew points, and extreme humidity; we have experienced an increased amount of moisture in all of our buildings. Unfortunately, Staley Elementary has seen levels of moisture and damp air that has caused a mildew/mold like substance to appear on some of our surfaces. At this point, we have had experts in to assess the situation, take samples, and test the air quality throughout the building. Although there is no immediate danger or reason to believe the situation is harmful, I am choosing to close the building for students on September 6 and September 7. Students at Staley Elementary will return to school on Monday, September 10. This will provide our team and other professionals an opportunity to clean all surfaces, ventilate the building, and ensure air quality tests are conducive for occupancy. While I know this situation is not ideal, we have to keep in mind the health, safety, and welfare of our students. Thank you for your time and understanding in this matter and I hope you have a great evening!
- Rome's Staley Elementary School closed Thursday and Friday
- Staley students help 'swear in' Griffo, Buttenschon in Rome
- School to begin Monday after mold is cleaned up at Staley Elementary
- Rome school board approves security officers for elementary schools
- Officials investigating after bullet reportedly found in Rome elementary school
- Rome Train Station remains closed
- Former Staley PTG president charged after funds came up missing
- Annsville Elementary to close at end of school year
- After unanimous vote, Forestport Elementary School is closing