The Village of New Hartford Codes Department is finding numerous roof leaks at the New Hartford Shopping Center. So far out of the 23 shops they’ve inspected all 23 have problems with leaks. New Hartford Shopping Center General Manager Bill Morris is aware of the leaks and tells us what’s been done so far.
"Last year we replaced Thrifty Shopper and Jo-Ann Fabrics, and we replaced most of the roof at Campion Commons.
Bill Morris says the roof of Jo-Ann Fabrics has been replaced, there’s still tarps hanging from the ceiling, and other shop owners have contacted the news department about other leaks."
One store owner, who didn't want to go on camera, says she believes many of the stores here are having problems with the roof, but don’t want the bad press, or are fearful of getting kicked out. That was the case for Curl up and Dye Salon Owner Amanda Tanner. She provided us video and some photos of the problems she was having. After three years of dealing with leaks, she finally had enough and moved out.
"It is scary when you own a business because you don’t want to shake too many… you know you don’t want to shake things up and shake feathers, and I was scared of losing my… where I was you know. Losing my business because I had worked so hard to get my name out there."
The Village is currently working on a full list of codes violations. That’s expected to be completed sometime next week, but we asked Village of New Hartford Mayor Don Ryan why after years of problems, there’s been no violations.
"He has attempted to fix it every time that we’ve asked him to, and he had put his best foot forward, so that’s all we can ask at this point."
Bill Morris tells us he has been in touch with the property owners, and they are working on a three year plan.
"We’re going to have to make some business decisions as to what happens this year, next year, and the year after, but rest assured that between now and the end of 2020 all the roofs will be done."
We’ll keep you posted on the progress of the Center as information becomes available.
- Roof leaks plague New Hartford Shopping Center businesses
- New Hartford water leak detected, repaired
- Small Business Saturday draws shoppers to the New Hartford Shopping Center
- What is the future of the New Hartford Shopping Center?
- Genesee Street crash slows traffic near New Hartford Shopping Center
- Stuff the Bus at New Hartford Shopping Center
- New bagel shop in New Hartford
- New toy store opens in New Hartford Shopping Plaza
- Tree damages roof of Lee Center home, cleanup underway
- Small Business Saturday promotes shopping local