HERKIMER, N.Y. -- A traffic alert has been issued for drivers in Herkimer that begins Thursday.
The state Department of Transporation says West Steele Street will be closed at Caroline Street.
The decision on the closure was made as a result of increased traffic flow through the village.
The increased traffic is due to the Route 51 bridge project.
Officials urge people to use caution when travelling in the area.
- Route 51 bridge project prompts road closure in Herkimer
- Route 51 bridge rehab stage one detour begins
- Route 51 bridge in Ilion fully closes Thursday — through August
- Bridge construction will cause Genesee Street and Route 8 closures
- Second water main break discovered on Route 51 in Ilion
- BREAKING: Water Main on Route 51 in Ilion repaired
- Route 12 reopens after tractor-trailer caused road closure
- Traffic Alert: Road Closures
- TRAVEL ADVISORY: Lane closures for Route 5S
- Proposed road project will affect two towns in Herkimer County