NEW HARTFORD -- The heavily traveled Route 8 bridge over Genesee Street in New Hartford is about to get an overhaul, and the construction will impact your commute along the Route 8 arterial.
Construction on the Route 8 bridge will close section of Genesee Street and Route 8 in New Hartford starting August 17. The overpass will be closed to traffic for four days.
The New York State Department of Transportation held a meeting at the firehouse in New Hartford Tuesday evening to inform the public on these changes. Some community members and businesses owners attended. The goal of this meeting was for the DOT to outline its construction plans and get input from the community.
DOT Public Information Officer Jim Piccola says Genesee Street under the bridge will be closed in both directions from Aug. 17th to Aug. 21st, and crews will be working for 24 hours during the duration of the construction. Piccola says the bridge is deteriorating and needs to be renovated.
Some business owners are concerned that the closure of Genesee Street will affect their businesses.
"Our business, different than most of the businesses in the Village of New Hartford, is predicated on the transit," Daylight Donuts owner Chuck Sadallah said. "We're not a destination, so we depend on the cars that drive through the village. So if you shut Genesee Street down, and people have to look for an alternative route to us, it's going to be dfficult and will definitley impact us."
Piccola says that even when construction is done, and Route 8 and Genesee Street open back up, there will be maintenance work on the bridge for a few weeks.
The project will cost $2.8 million.
The detours are listed below:
Detour route for Genesee St. southbound - Take on-ramp to Route 8 north, take Routes 5/12 south to Genesee St.
Detour route for Genesee St. northbound - From the Village of New Hartford take Campion Rd. to routes 5/8/12 north (Arterial) to Burrstone Road. Turn right to Genesee St.
- From Route 8 south take ramp to routes 5/8/12 north (Arterial) to Burrstone Road, turn right to Genesee St.
Detour route for Route 8 northbound - Take off-ramp to Genesee St., and take on-ramp to Route 8 north.
Detour route for Route 8 southbound - From Route 8 south take off-ramp to Campion Road. Cross Genesee St. to Oxford Road, Oxford to Kellogg Road, Kellogg Road to Route 8 south ramp.
- From Route 12 south to Genesee St., Genesee St. to Oxford Rd., Oxford Rd. to Kellogg Rd., Kellogg Rd. to Route 8 south ramp.
- Bridge construction will cause Genesee Street and Route 8 closures
- UPDATE: Route 8 Bridge over Genesee Street scheduled to open on Wednesday
- Street Corner Market opens on Genesee Street
- New left turn signal installed at Route 5S, Genesee Street intersection
- Route 51 bridge project prompts road closure in Herkimer
- $16.6M construction project along Route 5S/Oriskany Street set to begin
- Genesee Street Market to be held every Friday this summer
- Genesee Street crash slows traffic near New Hartford Shopping Center
- North Genesee Street NB closed to four corners in Utica
- Genesee Street: Power is restored and lanes back open