A 20-year-old SUNY Oneonta student has been charged with attempted murder for allegedly stabbing another student at their off-campus apartment Friday night.
According to Oneonta Police Chief Douglas Brenner, around 11:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 8, officers responded to 30 Maple Street, Apartment 2 for reports of a stabbing.
When officers arrived on scene they spoke with Julian D. Vancourt-Wels of Schenectady, who showed authorities a small kitchen knife and said he had used it to stab the female victim multiple times. The victim was stabbed in the face, wrist and shoulders, and she was found sitting on a couch in the living room, bleeding profusely.
Brenner would not identify the victim but said Vancourt-Wels and the victim were in a relationship with each other. Vancourt-Wels, who called 911 to report the stabbing, has been charged with felony first-degree attempted murder, felony first-degree assault and misdemeanor first-degree criminal possession of a weapon.
Brenner said the victim was taken to A. O. Fox Memorial Hospital in Oneonta but was later transferred to Albany Medical Center. She was treated and released from the hospital on Saturday.
The victim has been offered and given services through the hospital, the police department and the college.
Brenner said Vancourt-Wels has no prior criminal history and he is cooperating with police. He's being held in the Otsego County Correction Facility without bail pending further court procedures.
Police say the investigation into the incident is ongoing.
- SUNY Oneonta student charged with attempted murder in stabbing incident
- SUNY Oneonta graduation ceremony
- SUNY Oneonta student accused of stabbing girlfriend released on bail
- SUNY Oneonta announces death of freshman student
- Students move in at SUNY Oneonta
- Hundreds graduate from SUNY Oneonta
- SUNY Oneonta, SUNY Poly make 'Best Regional Universities' rankings
- Former SUNY Oneonta student accused of stabbing girlfriend offered plea deal
- Former SUNY Oneonta student pleads guilty to stabbing girlfriend last year
- SUNY Oneonta student accused of fracturing man's skull with baton